Families Counseling, Simi Valley, CA      (805) 583-3976      www.simi-therapy.com

Page 3

"Don't Worry, He'll Grow Out of It"

(cont. from pg. 2)

There are many professionals outside of the medical field who specialize in the evaluation and treatment of various childhood issues.  For example, if your son seems to have a speech problem such as difficulty pronouncing words (articulation problem), or your daughter is nearly 3 years old and hardly using single words then a speech pathologist (aka speech and language therapist) is the professional to contact.  What if your child is 18 months old and not able to walk, or falls often?  Maybe he can't feed himself without spilling or screams uncontrollably when he hears a motorcycle or fire truck in the distance.  These childhood concerns are the specialty of physical and occupational therapists. 

Some other issues that are brought to my attention, as a child psychologist, are related to children with severe tantrums, difficulty with making and keeping friends, or reading and math problems in school. Often times I work with parents who are very frustrated, because their child has been struggling in school and the school district has either tested the child and denied special education services, or refuses to give the child any additional help.  Some of these children who I have identified as having learning disabilities or related learning problems benefit from working with an educational therapist.  These professionals often have training in special education and utilize these techniques in a supportive one-on-one environment to teach children strategies to improve both their academic success and self-confidence in school.  The majority of children make significant improvements when their needs are identified and treated early.

So, if you have concerns about your child's development, academic progress or behavior it is best to trust your instincts.  No one knows your child better than you.  You can request a referral from your child's pediatrician, teacher or other parents. You can also contact these professionals from the provider list of your insurance company. Just keep in mind that if your child is exhibiting behaviors or lags in development for more than six months and your parental instincts are telling you some thing is not quite right, you should trust those instincts and seek professional help, because your child might not "just grow out of it."

Women’s Coaching Group Forming

Have you heard about Life Coaching? When you are feeling stuck in achieving a goal, or need a little accountability to keep moving in the right direction, then coaching may be for you.

Deborah is forming a Women’s Coaching Group, beginning Monday, Sept. 12, from 9 - 10:45 am. We will meet for 6 weeks, to learn goal-setting and time-management skills, how to work through blocks to achievement, and generally just help hold each other accountable.

For more details, please see our companion website,

Coaching for a Better Life, at www.abetterlifecoach.com

or call Deborah at

805-583-3976 x 33


Newsletter Home Page  | Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7