You may have heard about the “5 Love Languages” by Gary Chapman, because the book has been around since 2009, but do you know what they are? Here is a brief synopsis:
- Words of Affirmation — actions are nice, but some people really need to hear the words too
- Quality Time — full attention counts for a lot
- Gifts — it’s literally the thoughtfulness that matters, not the money
- Acts of Service — feeling taken care of
- Physical Touch — not just sex, but all types of physical affection
What gets tricky here is that each of us has our favorite ways of receiving love, so we tend to express love in the same way. But our spouse may need to receive love in their favorite ways, so our best efforts may not come across. So we need to learn to speak each other’s language.